Friday, April 16, 2010

Zero Percent Chance




Mercy League has no designs on creating an orphanage program, but apparently God has designs for us to be involved at some level. Out of thousands of orphanages in this country three unrelated groups intersected at Mercy League in a way that can only be described as Joe Azer (Mission Life Center) puts it, "a zero percent chance that this could happen this way." It must be God. The orphanage is an amazing opportunity to make a difference in the lives of these children/teens without having to take on the responsibility of carrying the full load. This elderly Haitian woman, Madame Paul, has been mothering these children since 1992 with little help from anyone. She said that our org is the first on that has reached out to her to offer her any kind of partnership. Today we delivered more than a ton of food (rice, milk, sugar) and NFI (non food items) like clothes, dolls, water filters, and footballs. More to come in the morning.
I found a little girl hiding behind the orphanage yesterday. She had nothing but plastic sandals on her body (most of the small children walk around naked). She was holding a plastic bottle in one arm and a tin can in the other - her toys. She is a loner. I saw her on my way to the "potty" and returned to find her crouching in the shade in the same place. I went to her and bent down to talk to her. I said, "come to me "cherie(sweetie)", let me hold you." I picked her up and told her that she didn't need the bottle and the can. I removed them from her hands and she clung tight to my neck and placed her head on my shoulder. She didn't let go for a long time... My heart was touched... uh oh Kristie...
I fed her and gave her a new plastic bottle... a bottle . I also fed her some cookies... : ) Today I found her laying half naked in the dirt and picked her up. I sat her on my lap for awhile and then stole her away the the truck so that I could feed her again... and give her more water without the rush of other children... it is like that. She most likely has internal parasites, and diarrhea. She vomited on me at lunch and soiled me in the afternoon, but that's OK, it's worth it... I am a little worried about her health. The house mother is really pushing me to take her... Yikes.
Her name is Widmia.

Random Notes
The gasoline shortage is becoming a bit of a drain on us. This is the first night that I've returned home before 8 p.m (looking for gas and descending the mountain). 

Tonight there is yelling and shooting in the Delma 83 area. part of me wants to go down the hill and stop whatever is happening... I bet Kristie would be against me doing that.


The response to my heavy heart was overwhelming. The reaction was varied, with most people telling me that 
my expectations were too high. Others responded in their own defense... not needed I assure you, and still others offered their condolences and valuable advice. I appreciated the response from everyone. It might have been about 25% of the list that responded. I plan to create two groups one which will receive a monthly update... those who are currently reading this, and another list that you must opt (ask) into. So far there are zero people on this list. This way my heart may stay intact. Please email me if you want to be on the new "Co-worker" list. This list will receive more notes and updates... but I will expect some kind of participation - correspondence, and other forms of participation. Those of you who are already swamped can remain of the "Friends" list and check in when you can. Do you think that is a good idea?


See the blog of our DC Team (MLC)
http://www.missionlifecenter.org/index.php/International-Blog/