Saturday, April 24, 2010

A Land of Widows and Orphans

Our little baby with her crackers
What constitutes a widow? Is it only a woman who has lost her husband via death? What about the woman who has been impregnated and left to raise her child or children on her own in a country like Haiti? Do you think there are resources here for these women to tap into? Are there jobs here for single mothers? Out of the ten young people that I have been working with in Haiti, zero of these kids have two parents at home, and two have a dad at home.... because their mothers died.

What constitutes an orphan? Is it simply a parent-less child? What about the children who are left to raise themselves and run the streets day and night without care and concern from their (single) parents? There is an incredible disconnect between parents and their children in this country. Girls are not protected and boys are not taught how to be true men.... men who care for their family. I see that there is love between parent/s and their children, but it is at arms length. Children are fodder for this country. I can't stand it.

Most of the boys that are in my life here have never known a "father." They seem so anxious to hear about how to go about caring for their significant others "girlfriends" and "fiances." I speak the works of the Bible to them about what it means to be a husband and father. How to treat the women in their lives (mothers, sisters, wives, etc...). They are anxious to learn. I will perform a wedding on Monday for an engaged couple. They are going to have a baby in October.

Shane helping cook at the Orphanage
There are so many widows and orphans in this country that it boggles the mind. I can't keep up with all of the children I have by simply having a father's heart. I can't convey the emotions I feel as I look into face after face of young man, young lady, boy, and girl with expectant eyes. I literally touch dozens of young people and children every day. I am kissed on the cheek (traditional greeting) by the little girls and hugged by these big brutes all trying to mask their need to love and attention.

Children at the Orphanage
This evening I sat on a chair in a tent compound. I did nothing but sit, and soon there were children standing afar off looking and whispering.  I called a small one over to me, "vin pale ou - come talk to me,"I said. She came. She was about 10 years old, thin and timid. I handed her 20 Gourdes (65 cents US) and told her to go and buy me some candy(there are little street vendors everywhere, so I was betting there was someone selling candy close by). It is culturally acceptable for an adult-even a stranger-to ask a child to purchase something small like candy, water/coke, or other common items like batteries. She went of and returned with a handful of candy. She deposited the candy in my hand and was about to walk away, but I could see that she wanted to stay and talk. I offered her some candy, asked her her name and within about a minute I was surrounded by young people. We talked for an hour, and when I had to leave they asked me when I would return. The fields are white for harvest, but the workers are few.


There is so much more news about the orphanage, losing our house to a higher bidder, the Crow High School Tap Tap, and the need for generous person(s) to take on the ministry financially. 

I would type more but it is late and my eyes are heavy. I come home in 6 days... 

Shane