Saturday, January 16, 2010

T-Minus 10 Hours

Dear friends,

As I stood over my son's crib watching him sleep tonight and thought about what it means to leave my wife and children to "go" again. It is a fundamental part of what it means to believe in the Good Book when it says:


Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. James 1:27

That's what I explained to a group of students at a winter retreat tonight. It is what our faith is built upon. That selfless love offered without thought for personal gain of any kind. This is how we show what we are about. I also mentioned the story of the Good Samaritan. It is how Christ described what it means to be a neighbor… then He said, "Go and do likewise."

It's that simple. It may not be easy to go and do likewise, but the concept is one that makes sense to me.

Our team leaves from Eugene tomorrow. It is upon us! I hope to continue to blog our progress and get information out to you as much as possible. My hope is for you to experience this vicariously through our team.

Thank you for your prayers, donations and encouragement! I am very tired… Time to rest…


 

Shane