Saturday, January 16, 2010

“Pray for Wisdom,” He Said…

Here are some words from my friend David Lloyd about dealing with life after the earthquake!

Now what?  These were the words Alicia asked me Wednesday morning.  My response was that now it is survival mode.  We have to survive, the country itself is shut down and who know when things will open back up, so have to take what we have and make it last.  We are very thankful that our container of supplies was delivered two weeks ago and we have a good supply of food.  We also have a couple weeks' supply of diesel, and I was able to get the cooking gas refilled today, just before the place ran out a few customers later.  

We are in great shape and should be for the next 4 to 6 weeks.  Might be down to just eating a can good but at least we will have something.  Hopefully by then some things will open back up and foods and fuels will be available, but this is Haiti so who knows.  It takes longer to get things going here, plus since so many places are gone I don't know how it is going to work out.

Thursday I got out and went into town. There was so much devastation, I was shocked.  I never imagined how bad it was.  I saw so many sights that I wish I never have had to see.  I wept and cried all the way home for Haiti.  Haiti as we know her is gone, all the stores we shopped at and friends we had who worked there are gone...our normal routine gone.  Please continue to pray.  Alicia asked when she gets to go into town, and I said not for a long time.  It is too heartbreaking.

The immediate plan is to wait for the airport to open up again for regular travel. Once American Airlines starts flying in to Haiti again, individuals will fly in once a week and bring a lot of cash with them so we can start on the repairs.

 Pray for wisdom: one of the hardest things I am facing right now is who to help. I have had people ask for food assistance because they are starving.  Do I help, and then have our kids starve in a couple weeks, or do I turn a cold shoulder and just take care of my own?  I have faced this a couple times and one I helped and one I didn't.  The one I helped left with a big thank you and tears in his eyes, the one I didn't said, "I understand" and left it at that.  I know people have said they would like to help meet the need right now, I just don't know how to go about that.  The banks our gone, so I can't get any cash right now.  If I did have the cash right now, there is nothing left to buy.  Pray for Haiti.


 

- David Lloyd