Thursday, January 14, 2010

Collecting Resources and Preparing my Heart for the Journey


It's been an emotional day today. I've avoided the television because of the coverage from Haiti. I have trouble sitting and watching without doing something to get over there to help. Several friends have called to encourage me and offer support. I think this is a time when I need to step up and take some needed medical supplies to Port-au-Prince

We have to be reasonable about this, to be sure. Our team has been there from the beginning, but was unprepared for something like this. They are running out of food and water and have no choice but to head for safety. They did what they could, but need to return before they find themselves on the wrong side of the equation.

My goal is to partner with an existing organization (Where some of my friends are working in Haiti now) and bring them much needed supplies. We have a Dominican group on the North Coast of the Dominican Republic. I plan to meet up with them and purchase medicine, fresh water and gasoline (in 5 gallon jugs) and bring it to my compares in the Capital. This plan will change depending on the needs of the organization and what is available in the Dominican Republic.

I would like to fly out as soon as possible, but am waiting for more financial support for medical supplies and general funding for airfare and other transportation costs. This is an opportunity to participate in this mission to Haiti. Thanks for your help!


This will be a heart-wrenching sojourn with little to look forward to… I would like to ask for your prayers for the people of Haiti, and for the people who are pointing their hearts and lives toward the fray. Let us all be united in our hearts for the helpless children and hurting people in this, their most desperate hour.

If you have any questions feel free to call 541-836-7272 (If you can't get through keep trying or send me an email – admin@mercyleague.org – include your call back number)

Keep praying,

Shane