Sunday, January 31, 2010

Never Enough

I am sitting here on the stone entryway to one of the classrooms here at one of the staging headquarters in Port-au-Prince. There has been so much progress in the city since 4:53 pm on January 12, 2010. The streets are beginning to get back to normal… and that is a fear for many people living in this city. I heard it said today that, "we do not need a Jan. 11m 2010 Haiti." Haiti must grow and learn from this disaster. There must be more cooperation and care between the government, the NGO's/Foreign entities, and the people of this country. My heart aches for these people. Because so many seem destined to reproduce the choices/lifestyles of their parents (or lack of) and live by utilizing every resource they can find rather than creating resources and opportunities for each other.

Jean-Paul* is 16 and has latched onto me. He calls me Pas and holds onto me every time he sees me. He says to me. "Pas, everywhere you go I want to go and whatever you do I want to do with you… Teach me everything… and take me like an uncle into your life." He wants purpose and meaning. I have been offered children/babies, land and many opportunities to join other organizations. To be honest it has been difficult to assess where I fit in the long term.

Our team is planning to go to an area of Haiti (above Jacmel in the mountains) that was hard hit by the earthquake, but no international organizations have responded. In fact, our Haitian resources tell us that most of these people have never seen a white person. We may drive, but some have suggested that Samaritan's purse and/or the US Army may fly us in by chopper. It is remote.

Friday is the last day here for awhile for me. Luke Wilkerson will be taking over for some time and we hope to overlap this week and make some longer term plans for Mercy League Haiti. I have been invited to speak when I get back. If you would like me to speak at you church or group please email and tell me so.

There is much need for a truck still. So far the response to that need has been deafening silence… Perhaps someone will talk to someone they know and it will happen. All in all it is all for others and we will make it! The eyes are getting tired….

In His hands…

Shane