Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Dominican Children Burned... We are Helping

--Tomorrow I will upload a video if possible... It is very sad... But we are helping

Dear friends and families,

This is why we are here in the Dominican Republic... to help. These two children, Angel Luis (8) and Jose Julian (2) were left home alone while their 13 year old sister went to the store, about 150 feet away, to buy something to put with the rice that was on the stove. Somehow the whole pot of boiling oil/water/rice mixture tipped over on the two children. The children were taken the the hospital until the money ran out. We found them laying in a bed this afternoon, and we promised to help.

I talked to Angel and told him to hang in there, and that many people care about him, including me. He was very shy. He waved goodbye when I left. Jose slept through the whole visit.













I visited these children with the co-directors(Alex and Elizabeth) of our children's home, which is opening imminently. They care deeply for children and as we prayed for the little ones, Elizabeth couldn't hide her emotions. I am thankful to have caring Dominicans whom care about their own, with such passion.

We are hard at work building our own "sustainable" children's home in an area not far away, but somehow that work needs to wait until we get these little ones into a safe and sterile environment. I received two telephone calls today promising help for these children (My aunt and uncle's church in Vernon, and my brother in Vavenby, BC).


I will tell you more about Alex and Elizabeth another day.. for now... Please say a prayer for Angel and Jose. If you can... tell me if you can help us pay for their medical treatment, but perhaps do not send it right away as we may have enough with the pledges from the Vernon Alliance church and my brother Jamie.

E-mail me at: mattenleys@mercyleague.org

I thank God for the opportunity to be here on your behalf.

Don't forget to pray for Angel and Jose,

Shane