Saturday, February 23, 2008

"Little by Little" for the Children's Home in the Dominican Republic



DR 2005
We sent $1000 to the Dominican Republic where Gordon and Melissa Dohms currently serve as our agents on the ground. This money represents about 1/6 of our budget for the Children's home project for this year.

As most of you know, I am currently in Florida working with refugee and immigrant families and their children. It has been 2 weeks and 3 days to be exact and let me tell you... It is turning out to be a greater challenge than I had hoped. Little Haiti, Miami, and the whole East coast of Southern Florida is a difficult place for Haitians. The crime here is not as bad as Haiti, but it is quite dangerous here if you don't know where not to be, and when not to be there.



I've been in areas of Southern Florida where gangs and drugs are prevalent. People in one neighborhood seemed to be staked out with hand-held radios. The stare-downs were unreal, but I would just tip my hat and keep driving. At one point I was in a black neighborhood and stopped at a local church around noon. I walked up to an old church with a chain-link fence around the parking lot in a really sketchy area. I went in the front door looking for the minister but as soon as I entered the foyer I could hear the wailing of elderly women praying in loud voices... almost singing as they did so. I listened for a few minutes but decided not to disturb them that day. I wondered if these grandma's were praying for the thugs staring me down in the neighborhood.

I've found many places to volunteer here in South Florida, but so far no real job offers. I must have about 50 or more resumes circulating out there. I am quite touched by the many gifts that have kept me afloat during this time. Thank-you for your help, especially those of you who have been praying and sending encouraging notes and emails.

My plan is to try to keep this going for about 20 more days while support (hopefully) continues to come in and I find part-time employment here in Florida. Mercy League is moving forward. These blogs and updates are helping to keep everyone up-to-date with my daily journey. My sincere hope is to be useful, but the thought of my wife and children at home alone has become an increasing burden on me. The work feels less important if I feel that my wife and children are unhappy... so pray for them, please. When I asked Brendan whether I should come home early because it was too much for the family, he said to me, on the telephone, "Dad, don't come home yet... keep doing your best to help the people." - I'll keep doing my best Brendan!

In His hands,

Shane