Saturday, October 6, 2007

Mercy League in Haiti


To the ones called out to make a difference in this world.

Some have a special ability to be steady and supportive while others are unable to remain satisfied with the status-quo. It’s like when the Good Book says that one planted and another watered but God makes it grow. (1 Cor. 3:6-8) We are all in this together. We can’t all go and help but we can all do... what we can do to help.

In a world with tremendous volume and increasing demands, the faint voices of the oppressed and suffering are muted. We have to listen more intently, set aside some of our time and tune into what God cares about. What we, in our heart of hearts care about, care about.

~that’s what I am thinking today~


-----------------------------------------------

I was in “town” (Eugene, Oregon) a couple of years ago when my cell phone began to buzz in my pocket. It startled me (I though it was a bee, again) I pulled it out of my pocket and answered it. It was Luke Wilkerson. He was asking about Haiti again. He was planning a short mission’s trip with his brother across the country. He needed contacts and advice and I was on his list. He is a very magnetic sort of person. I find myself quite interested in his heart and vision because he is so interested in what is on his heart and what he needs to do to accomplish his vision. We talked for about half an hour and he said that I could expect more calls from him soon.

This has been happening ever since then. We have been talking about a vision Luke has for a self sustaining agriculture boarding school for street children (boys at this point) from Port-au-Prince. It is a perfect vision and greatly needed. Luke and I met together last summer here in Oregon. Luke prayed much and garnered much council. He invited a very capable group of people in the Knoxville, Tennessee area (as well as other friends and family) to form a board to oversee and support him as he moved forward.



He did it!

Luke picked up and moved stakes September 26, 2007. He is staying with some wonderful friends of mine in a little Haitian family settlement in the mountains overlooking Port-au-Prince. He has taken much precaution and listened to good council throughout this process. I am very proud of my friend Luke Wilkerson.

We are now partnering with the Mercy League HAITI Board and it’s membership.

To those serving on the Mercy League Haiti board and your supporters!

Congratulations!

Welcome to Mercy League!

No comments: