Monday, February 22, 2010

Post Haiti Earthquake Report: Big Changes for Mattenleys and Mercy League


Dear Fiends,

It has been awhile since my last post. I have been trying to catch up with work and negotiate the variables of preparing for a return to Haiti. It has been a week and a half of public speaking, sharing the vision, modifying our goals in Haiti, raising funds for a truck (hoping to have enough money by Wednesday), caring for the family and making big decisions.

Speaking of big decisions… Here is one. The Mattenley family has decided not to move to North Africa (Morocco) this summer. On paper it looked good for us to move to Haiti, but the one thing we were missing was a "call." I was supposed to be in Morocco now, but we all know why we went to Haiti.

We feel a call to Haiti, so that is the new plan. After the second week in Haiti I could sense a call. I did not look for it, but there it was. When I returned to the US I kept it to myself, but there was no fooling Kristie. She knew something was up. After about four days she sat me down and said, "I think that God is calling us back to Haiti." Of course I was stunned, and perplexed. "Who is this woman and where is my wife?" She reiterated it again the next day when she said that she was fully on board with Haiti. 

I don't know where to start… I leave for Haiti again on Thursday with Lonne Morse and Tyler Newman. We are heading back to do some recon on some areas to serve in the outlying areas in Haiti that are not being addressed by the international community. We will also be looking for a place to set up shop as an organization for the long term, and a home for the family. Thank you to all of the people who have come out and offered to support our family financially and in prayer.

I know that Haiti needs discipleship not just more evangelism. What I mean by this is that the best thing for Haiti is the people of Haiti need to rise up and care for their own… with our help. I hope to be involved in volunteerism and discipleship training for the youth of Haiti. What this will look like I am not too sure, but this much I know; I want to serve, so here we go…